Committed to Full LGBT Equality
Senator Coons passionately believes that equality is the birthright of every American.
Fighting for marriage equality in Delaware and across the nation
Senator Coons has been an unfailing supporter of full marriage equality. An original cosponsor of the Respect for Marriage Act and a committed supporter of Equality Delaware, Senator Coons is working to ensure all loving couples can enjoy the benefits and responsibilities of marriage.
Removing discrimination from our laws
“I’m tired of seeing kids grow up in a country where their government tells them discrimination is ok,” Senator Coons said during a hearing in 2011. Senator Coons is committed to rooting out discrimination in our laws to prevent LGBT Americans from being persecuted in their schools, workplaces, and their communities.
Defending LGBT rights as human rights around the world
Senator Coons believes LGBT rights are human rights, and has used his chairmanship of the Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on African Affairs to advocate for those rights abroad. When the Ugandan parliament considered legislation that would have made being gay a capital offense, Senator Coons reached out to key lawmakers to urge its defeat.
- Cosponsor of the Respect for Marriage Act to repeal DOMA
- Cosponsor of the Student Non-Discrimination Act
- Cosponsor of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act
- Cosponsor of the Uniting American Families Act
- Cosponsor of the Domestic Partnership Benefits & Obligations Act
- Cosponsor of the Tax Parity for Health Plan Beneficiaries Act
- Cosponsor of the Family and Medical Leave Inclusion Act
- YEA to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell (12/18/10)
- YEA to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act (11/10/11 in Judiciary)
- NAY on amendment to strip sexual orientation provisions from the Violence Against Women Act (4/26/12)
- Human Rights Campaign: 100%